Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Grill Challenge: Charcoal vs. Gas

The debate to determine whether charcoal or gas is superior to one another is like saying the Red Sox are better than the Yankees or vice-versa. At times they are so evenly matched it is hard to tell whom you like more, or which flavor of the month it is. Each one has its positives and negatives. It mainly comes down to a personal preference to which you end up choosing to grill with. Personal choice combined with a few other factors play a main determining role when picking one over the other.
First, I have to start with taste as the number one influence because from my experience that is what everyone wants from their grill: the best taste. I personally enjoy the raw smokiness that is produced from the charcoal that will give your food that extra bite compared to gas. It seems of late that most people are tending to buy more gas grills than charcoal because of the convenience it takes to start. This is definitely a plus when it comes to gas since it will reduce your cooking time by at least 20 to 30 minutes. Charcoal grills tend to be messier and time consuming when it comes to igniting your weapon of choice; not to mention the cleanup afterwards (not a big factor for myself). I think the additional flavors you receive from the charcoal grill definitely outweigh the convenience factor because to get the same taste you would probably have to spend more money for a smoker as an add-on (this could also cause more work eliminating that benefit).
Price is another factor that heavily weighs on your decision to purchase a grill for the big game. Charcoal grills can be found at relatively low prices up to more expensive models too, but gas grill are generally going to be higher priced. This could be to steep for some of us. I think another big issue some of us folks forget is a transportation factor. I am sure there are some nice gas grills, but when you have to transport a huge bulky grill in the trunk of a car I think you may be persuaded again. Small, portable charcoal grills are easily accessible and can be hauled in any sized vehicle. Based on my personal feelings, I without a doubt would bring the old, classy charcoal versus the new, sexy gas grills to the game because of these factors:

1. Taste = Charcoal
2. Price = Charcoal
3. Prepping Convenience = Gas
4. Transportation Ease = Charcoal

How do you feel? I know everyone cannot agree with me even though I know you want to. Maybe you can try to convince me otherwise, but until then you can keep your gas grills. The best way to tailgate is still with the basic Smokey Joe, Weber.


Feel free to respond to my bold choice....Charcoal is by far superior.

Who will win the battle?

1 comment:

  1. Good article. Myself and friends like using charcoal most of the time as well. I have never found the time spent letting the coals get ready to be wasted. I use that time for snacking, drinking a beverage and visiting. I always carry a small can to take care of the ashes and hot coals. In our world charcoal is the choice.

    ReplyDelete